Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Grounds





















I've been preparing new canvases this week for paintings that can travel to Poland later this summer. Right now, I'm imagining removing them from the stretchers when finished, and restretching them once there, so I'll need a flexible ground.  For the archivists out there, I'm using one coat of Golden GAC 100 to seal the linen, lightly sanding the surface after that dries to promote better adhesion between layers, followed by some Golden acrylic gesso, another light sanding, and then one final layer of acrylic gesso.  For the winter series, I liked to start on a ground that was slightly blue, and I've altered it further here with magenta.  It's not riveting, but it's relaxing and a bit exciting imagining all the new paintings to follow. 

No comments: