Monday, February 8, 2016

The Final Curtain


"The Final Curtain," 5 x 5 inches, acrylic on paper
  

An alternately apt title for this would be "play."  Since is a new year, I'll reveal a little of what is going on behind the curtain.  Although I don't subscribe to the beliefs of Surrealism, I do often begin with a non-objective chance process very similar to automatic drawing.  Unlike the Surrealists who strove towards revealing the mysteries of the subconscious, I acknowledge my full control over every aspect-- especially in the initial selection, cropping, and orientation of the work.  There is a formula of course; I am always looking for characters in situations and stories.   If I can improve on the initial images, I dress them up and make them a little more explicit gradually over multiple sessions so that an audience can see them too.  But this one has been around for so long that I've decided it is perfect as it is.  If you can't see it just yet, hopefully the title will give you a literal clue.  Don't worry on the figurative meaning--I will be working on this series for a little while longer.

No comments: